Monday, April 6, 2009

Family, friends, and routines

Last week was another "normal" week for us, until Anna got a runny nose and cough (again) on Thursday. So instead of heading into church for Bible Study, we stayed home and rested for most of the day. It seems to have helped since this cold hasn't progressed to more than the basic symptoms ... thankfully :)

Saturday we drove over to Milwaukee to visit with Matt's sister, Miriam, and her family. We all had a nice time spending the day with Miriam, Chris, Mark, and Nate; Matt and Chris even got to go for a bike ride together in the morning! Anna was thrilled to see the boys and, surprisingly, remembered a lot about them and their past experiences together.

Today (Monday), Anna and I headed back to Milwaukee to have our monthly play-date with Josh and Gretchen. These two kids are just fun to watch. They certainly have different personalities, but (almost) always play together very well. This was probably our last trip over there until baby comes, but hopefully they'll be able to travel our way soon.

One of the special routines at our house recently has been to check on the "fowerses" whenever we head outside to go somewhere. (It's really a great motivator to tell Anna she should check on the flowers before we get in the van or on our way into the house!) Granted, the crocuses have only begun to bloom, but Anna loves to check them out anyway. What will this kid think when spring really arrives?!?!

Another routine Anna has enjoyed lately has been to "watch Mommy" while I'm making dinner. For a long time she simply wanted me to "carry" while I was working in the kitchen. Well, I haven't been able to do that comfortably for awhile so I finally figured out she just wanted to be able to see what I was doing. We tried letting her stand on a chair at the island with some crayons and paper and now she loves it. Usually now she'll say "Mommy, carry? ... no ... Anna watch Mommy!" Then she'll push a kitchen chair over to the island, climb up, and proceed to play with whatever is in sight :)

No comments: