Monday, August 17, 2009

Lounging around the pool(s)

What a fun few days we had last week! It was pretty warm and humid again so we set up the backyard kiddie pool on Wednesday afternoon for some good old fashioned summertime fun. Anna, Kate, and I spent the afternoons on Wednesday and Friday hanging out around our little pool, having smoothies or popsicles, and just plain enjoying summer. I even got Kate into Anna's swimsuit from last summer (yes, it was pretty big on her yet) so she could join us in the water for a bit.

Kate's favored activity outside still seems to be lying around and watching trees and leaves, which is certainly fine by us. We try to make sure that she's always in the shade and has a hat on, but she has still somehow managed to get a baby tan ... hmmm.

Anna really enjoys our little pool so we thought we'd do a family trip to a local public pool on Saturday afternoon. Anna was pretty hesitant at first, which didn't suprise me too much after realizing that this was her first trip to a big pool since last summer. Once I was able to get in the water with her and goof off, she had a bunch of fun. We even managed to get past the kiddie pool into the big pool for some fun. I think kicking and piggy-back rides were her favorite activities, especially if I made up a song to go along with them :)

Besides the pool, we've been enjoying lots of good food from out garden this past week ... tomatoes, zucchini, corn ... yum! Last night we had our first corn on the cob and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. We've been working with Anna on the concept of "ripe" so she doesn't pick green grapes, green tomatoes, etc. Last night after Anna devoured her ear of corn she said "We will pick more corn now? It is ripe!"

It's been a lot of fun lately listening to what is going on in Anna's head. When we were picking the corn yesterday she said "Here is an ear of corn; I will listen to it." So I got to explain how some words can mean different things and that the corn plants don't really have ears that listen :)


We're looking forward to a fun week with Matt being home. He's taking his second week of paternity leave since he wasn't able to take two weeks right away when Kate was born. We've got a lot of harvesting plans (corn and tomatoes mainly), but also have some fun trips planned, too! Should be fun :)

No comments: