Monday, September 7, 2009

Weekend fun

We're finishing up a great weekend together as a family. I'll start with today and then work backwards through the weekend ...


We had a wonderful time this morning with friends from church at a picnic. Most of these people Matt and I got to know when we first moved to Madison 8 years ago. At the time there were a handful of single people and engaged or married couples, but only one child in the group. Now we're almost all married and there's about 15 kids amongst us. Needless to say, we had a bunch of fun playing at the park, having the picnic, and then playing around at the splash park. Anna was in heaven :)


Last night we had our first family campfire with Anna and Kate around our backyard fire pit. Kate managed to stay up for about a half hour before she was ready to crash while Anna probably would have stayed out there all night. She was so fired up (pun intended) and didn't sit still for more than about 5 seconds the whole time we were outside. We were able to get her inside to bed by telling her that Daddy had to put the fire to bed (by pouring water on it to put it out). Amazingly, that convinced her it was time for her to go to bed, too :)


Saturday was also a good day. Not only did I turn 30 (yikes!), but my mom came down for some of the day and for the evening so Matt and I could go out without the girls. Anna and I ran errands in the morning and then my mom helped Matt and I can 14 qts. of plums in the afternoon while the girls were sleeping. Matt and I went out to dinner and then to the Taste of Madison that night, although I was ready to come home and crash pretty early. The girls did great for my mom, but it seems Anna felt comfortable enough with Grandma to try all of her stalling techniques at bedtime :)


Last week was a good one, too. I've decided that Olbrich Gardens (a.k.a. the "flower park") is a great pit stop/incentive for Anna when we have things to do on that side of town. I needed to get both girls some shoes for the fall/winter among other things, but knew Kate would need to eat sometime and that Anna probably wouldn't be content for the entire experience so we spent about a half hour at Olbrich in the midst of the errands for Kate's feeding and Anna's squirminess. It worked.


We also managed to make it to the zoo on Friday morning after a play-date was cancelled at the last minute. I think this might have been the first time I'd been to the zoo without other adults along. Anna and I had a blast (with Kate tagging along, too, of course!). Anna fed the goats; we rode the carousel; and ran around looking at all kinds of animals. I love hanging out with these kids ... most days :)


By the way, we realized recently that we have a lot of pictures of Kate in her carseat or bouncy seat so Matt and I thought we should take some other ones of her, too :) Enjoy!

No comments: