Our big event last week was the children's Christmas program at church on Wednseday night. On the third Wednesday in Advent our church usually has a "Gift Night", when members can give gifts of song, poetry, stories, etc. to one another. A lot of the kids perform Christmas songs vocally or with instruments. Things were a little different this year since we were also going to have the rescheduled Christmas program. So during a yummy dinner of potluck style appetizers and desserts, we were the audience for anything from a 2 year old singing "Go, Tell it on the Mountain" to a 13 year old playing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" on his electric guitar. I love our church :)
Then the kids all got dressed up and everyone headed upstairs for the program. Anna did great as the cow, as far as we know. Unfortunately, Matt and I weren't able to see her since we were behind the curtain as puppeteers once again. Some people gave us a few pictures of her, but none ditigally yet. I'll try and post some if and when we get any. Anyway, it was definitely an eventful evening, but I think everyone had a great time.
Every year in Madison there are several special Christmas displays and events and each year our family has added a few more of these to our repertoire of December activities. Last week we went to Olbrich Gardens one afternoon to see their holiday garden scale train display. The girls were in awe; Kate kept running from one side of the room to the other (it wasn't a very big room) saying "Da twain is going!" Anna liked listening to the musical box car and kept asking me "Mom, do you recognize THIS song?" because, of course, she recognized them all.
One evening last week we also took the girls out in the truck to look at the neighborhood Christmas lights. Kate was hilarious. After the first few homes where Matt, Anna, or I would say "ooooh, I like that one", Kate proceeded to repeat "ooooooh, I yike dat one!" over and over again, no matter if she saw Christmas lights or just a street light :) Matt and I were cracking up.
On Friday I took the girls downtown to see the holiday tree in the Capitol rotunda before spending the morning at the children's museum. I think the girls liked the train going around the tree better than the tree itself ;)

I've also been trying to get the girls outside in the afternoons, albeit for only about a half hour or so. We really miss fresh air time! The girls are enjoying it enough, too, that Friday night we went sledding in the front yard after dinner with Matt for awhile.
This week, surpisingly, is going fast, even though most everything we normally attend is on break. A playdate yesterday morning, oil change and grocery shopping this morning, another playdate tomorrow, a visit to my old school on Thursday, and then Christmas Eve. Whew! Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment