Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tidbits

I can't think of a way to string together these stories in a thematic way, so I'm just going to share them separately as a few tidbits of our life recently.

Libraries ... I think it says a lot about my current stage of life that I can give a pretty good description of the children's section of any public library within about 15 minutes of our house (there are at least 3 such libraries). This description may include information about the book selection, the children's librarian, and the activity/toy selection among other things :)

Outdoors ... I try to get the girls outside to play every day that the temperature is above 20 degrees. It doesn't always happen, both the temperature reaching that high and us getting bundled up, but we are often happier people when we do have some fresh air time. Last week one day, we managed almost an hour out together, including some big-sister-pulling-little-sister-while-little-sister-eats-snow time :)


Sledding ... We have some neighbors down the street who have a great hill that starts in their back yard and then travels through several people's yards until it ends in a green space. I can't take the girls there by myself yet because it's too much work to pull them up the hill multiple time alone, but we were able to go on Saturday morning with Matt for awhile. It will certainly be a good destination in the years to come.


Packer fever ... Anna is a great Packers fan :) She's picked up on the excitement of the upcoming game (Packers vs. Bears for the NFC championship, in case you didn't know!). She and Matt started playing "fumble drills" over the weekend and somehow during the course of that game, we each picked up new names. Anna now goes by Aaron Rodgers; Kate is Matt Flynn (her backup, of course); Matt is Donald Driver; and I, fittingly, am the Coach. I actually have to put limits on when we'll use these names because I think Anna would use them almost exclusively if it were up to her :) She also informed us of the appropriateness of the different names (A for Aaron and Anna; D for Donald Driver and Daddy; M for Mommy and Mike McCarthy).


Pictures ... We aren't quite sure what to think of this picture of Kate. It looks like her, but it also doesn't look like her. At the very least, it gives us a glimpse of what Kate will look like as a little girl. She's certainly not a baby in this shot!

Visits ... This morning we toured a preschool that Anna will, hopefully, attend this fall. Overall, it seems like a good fit for our family. After taking her customary observation time, Anna jumped right in and tried out several different free choice activities with all the 4 year olds. After the preschool visit, we had our first contractor visit at our house. He gave us some ideas and estimates for a kitchen remodel/addition tentatively planned for the summer of 2012. It was certainly a morning to make me feel like a grown up!

Maybe the next update will have a bit more cohesiveness to it :)

No comments: