Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Another baby?!?!

 That's right!  Baby Mischnick #3 is due on December 14 (which puts me at just over 12 weeks).  Hooray!


(This picture is from my 9 week appointment, but I got to see another ultrasound of the baby on Monday at my 12 week appointment.  My doctor's office is awesome; a new clinic since Kate was born!  The doctors can bring around a handheld ultrasound device that's about the size of a small microphone hooked up to something the size of a smartphone and can do a "quick check" at any appointment (made by GE)!  That, combined with the wonderful staff, and I really am looking forward to my appointments this time around :) 

We're all very excited.  We told the girls a couple of weeks back and they were quite surprised, but both seem to have a very positive outlook on the whole thing so far.  Since they found out, we've heard lots of "I bet our baby will ______." and "Do you think our baby will _____?"

The first question most people ask when they first find out is "How are your feeling?"  Well, tired, but that's to be expected.  Actually, I think I may have had the "easiest" first trimester of all three of our pregnancies.  This is mostly due to the fact that my doctor recommended I take a daily magnesium supplement to try to stop my migraines and ... it seems to have worked!  Since I started the magnesium, I've only had a couple of very mild headaches that go away relatively quickly with my standard management techniques.  Yeah!  Before the magnesium, I actually didn't have any headaches for the first three weeks or so after we found out, but then had four or five weeks of a pretty nasty one at least once a week :(  Still, that's not bad at all when compared to the several months of weekly migraines as I had with Anna and Kate.

Besides the headache story, I had a hard time when my stomach was empty for a few months (that happened with Kate, too), but both my energy and my tummy troubles seem to be on their way out.  Hopefully my energy this summer allows me to keep up with the girls and the garden :)  Matt's been a big help so far, taking some time off of work when my migraines were really bad, helping more than usual with the garden, doing the dishes almost every night, and then running around with the girls, all after a long day at work and often biking too and from GE.

Not too surprisingly, life has gone on relatively normally.  It pretty much has to with Kate and Anna the ages they are.  We've been spending lots and lots of time outdoors; we've been having lots of playdates now that school is out for Anna; we've also been readjusting to spending lots of time together.  It's a good thing Kate and Anna are such good buddies and really, genuinely enjoy being with each other.  Of course we have our rough times, but that usually comes later in the day when people are a bit tired of being around one another.

The other day Matt and I were trying to get some work done outside while the girls were set up at the picnic table with some markers and paper.  After awhile I started getting the "mommy intuition" that I needed to check on them.  I discovered them drawing up and down their legs with red marker telling me that their lions attacked them.  They kept saying over and over "Look at all this blood!"  Hmmm ... Oh, well.  The marker was washable.


This week has been a bit hectic for me as we're preparing for our first big family vacation.  The plan is to leave early on Thursday morning, drive to South Dakota to spend a few days with Matt's parents, then drive to Denver where we get to see Adam and Libby, and then spend a few days just relaxing in Colorado before we have to drive back home.  Whew!  Should be fun!

No comments: