Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Our beautiful summer!

It's taken Wisconsin about 2 months to get its act in gear, but finally we're experiencing a beautiful end to an otherwise oppressive summer.  Last week we had a front go through on Thursday and since then, it's been absolutely gorgeous.  Of course that means it's been too cool to play in the pool, but that's okay at this point :)

A few highlights of last week ... the girls and I toured a working dairy farm with some neighbors on Wednesday.  Anna, Kate, and I all got to experience handmilking a cow, go for a hayride, see some newborn calves, bottle feed baby goats, feed the other goats their feed, ask lots of questions, and learn lots of good things about farm life.  Anna just absorbed the entire morning, and proceeded to build a farm with blocks and little animals during her quiet time, and then pretended to be a farmer later in the day while taking care of a few stuffed animal cows.  Kate like the cats and kittens that followed us around at the farm best :)

Thursday we spent the morning finishing up school shopping and then part of the afternoon visiting with some friends and their new baby.  Kate and Anna thoroughly enjoyed playing at Audrey and Carson's house with other people and other people's toys, while I enjoyed having some good friendship time with Mary and baby Jillian.

Friday we invited some other friends over to spend the morning with us while I canned spaghetti sauce ... 28 quarts of it.  That's a lot.  And there were still tomatoes left at the end of the day.  So Monday I made 20 pints of pizza sauce.  And picked another bucket full or so of more tomatoes which are sitting on the counter waiting to be canned.  I think we can say officially that this is a good year for our tomato plants :)

My kitchen helpers liked the squeezo strainer again this season :)

Back to Friday ... Rachel and I didn't hear a peep out of our four kids for most of the three hours they were here.  The only problem was when Kate tripped outside and skinned her knee.  Otherwise the kids all played SO well together and didn't need any intervention on our part ... hooray!  Our favorite moment was after they'd been all playing in Anna's room for awhile, we see Shadow come tearing through the kitchen with a frightened look, followed close behind by two 5-year-olds and two 3-year-olds screeching at the top of their lungs about how they should shoo the cat downstairs :)  Maybe you had to be there, but it was pretty funny for us.

Saturday and Sunday were some of the most beautiful weekend days we've had all summer.  We took advantage of the weather on Saturday afternoon to go for a family bike ride on one of the local trails.  The girls had a wonderful time, and Matt enjoyed it as well.  I did great, until the last quarter.  Then my body finally started protesting to the fact that I was doing all this stuff while being 23 weeks pregnant.  So I came down with "something" on Saturday night and Sunday.  Could have been a migraine, could have been the stomach bug, who knows at this point.  Whatever it was, I was miserable.

Thankfully I have an amazing husband.  Matt dealt with a cranky Anna on Sunday morning and managed to get the girls to early church just in time, only to have Kate have an accident towards the end of the service and not have any spare clothes along.  After bringing everyone home, he decided to take the girls to a state park for a picnic and the afternoon so I could rest in peace.  They were gone for 5 hours!  I slept, rested, and was able to get over most of whatever was bugging me ... hooray!  Probably the only good part of Sunday for me was that because I was lying around most of the day, I got to feel our little guy moving, kicking, rolling, punching, etc. :)

Hiking away with Daddy.  Kate is holding their "bug barn" filled with all of their treasures.

Peek-a-boo!


This week the girls are participating in our church's music camp/VBS and are just loving it.  We are incredibly blessed to have such a wonderful church family.

 Whew!  Only a few more weeks of summer and then school starts!  What a transition that will be!

No comments: