Monday, September 3, 2012

The last hurrah!

Last week we tried to make as memorable as we could, all things considered.  We had our trip to the zoo on Monday, a morning in Stoughton on Tuesday (complete with plenty of time at their great children's library, a local park, and donuts at the bakery), surviving Wednesday (more on that later), a day at home on Wednesday, and our field trip on Friday.  Plus the weather got hot again, so we were able to have time in the pool several days.

During the last of these pool days (Friday, I think), Kate finally decided that she liked putting her head underwater ... hooray!  She was even trying to swim underwater like Anna does!  Now we just have to make sure that we visit pools this fall and winter so we don't forget all of these good skills the girls have learned this summer.

Wednesday was a pregnancy day; I had my glucose testing to make sure that I'm not suffering from gestational diabetes (for which their was no real concern anyway).  Apparently since I was pregnant with Kate, the guidelines have changed.  Now the test requires a 10-12 hour fast, then a blood draw, then a sugared drink comparable to a can of soda, then a blood draw after an hour, followed by another blood draw after 2 hours.  At that point you can finally eat something real.  I was dreading this day from the moment I heard about the test.  I have a hard enough time with hunger problems without having to purposefully fast.

I did the best I could to prepare (big, protein filled dinner, plus more protein before bed), but was still not looking forward to the experience.  It turns out my mom was right and the anticipation of the event was much worse than the actual morning.  My glucose levels were "fantastic", in my doctor's own terminology, and the doctor's office was wonderful about making the experience as painless as possible.  I even got my own waiting room with a recliner and dimmed lighting!

Along with the sugar test was my 24 week check-up.  Everything is moving along as smoothly as can be, and in my opinion, this is probably the healthiest I've been while being pregnant.  That doesn't make it any less uncomfortable, though :)  Our baby boy is growing as he should and is one very active kiddo.  We can hardly wait to see what kind of kid he will be!

My main pregnancy complaint right now is dealing with this heat.  My tolerance for heat and humidity has been going down pretty steadily over the course of the summer and the 90 degree days we've had this last week have been very annoying for me.  What a blessing air conditioning is!

Back to the rest of life ... our field trip on Friday was to the McKenzie Environmental Center.  The girls and I had a memorable time seeing all sorts of native animals (wolves, coyotes, eagles, hawks, bison, bobcats, etc) in addition to having our picnic lunch.


The best part was probably the girls' excitement at finding a dozen or so lady bugs on a tree near our picnic site.  They LOVED catching them and having them crawl all over their arms :)


Then we stopped for ice cream on the way home :)


At one point during the day, Anna asked if she would ever get a year off of school.  When I questioned her further, I think she was starting to realize that she wouldn't be free to do these kinds of field trips anymore, so I reassured her that we'll always have the summer to do our fun family field trips :)

Saturday we spent the day as a family at the Rock River Thresheree.  Matt and I couldn't believe that we hadn't been there since Kate was born!  It was certainly a contrast to our previous day's field trip, with all of the old machinery and engines to see.


We rode the train as a family and then Anna chose to do a pony ride for her special treat (whereas Kate and I split an ice cream bar for our treat and Matt got a funnel cake :)  Fun times, but we (especially Kate and I) were very tired at the end of the day.

 

Tomorrow Anna and I head to school for an hour orientation.  We already met Anna's teacher last week on evening at an ice cream social.  Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday Anna attends for half days, and then next week she starts full days.  What a transition this will be1

No comments: