Wednesday, January 9, 2013

"normal" life

We're about a week into life as a family of five with Matt back full time at work.  It's busy, and tiring, and at times frustrating.  But also it's fun, and rewarding, and full of blessings.


We did a few final family activities just prior to Anna starting back at school.  We packed up the whole family on New Year's Eve and headed downtown for our tradition trip to see the Capitol Christmas tree and visit the Children's Museum.  (Anna has been asking to go to the museum since school started and we finally managed a trip!)

School started on the 2nd of January and Matt went back to work on the 3rd.  Last week was a little rough transitioning back to our school/work routine, but this week has gone a bit better.  I'm sure we'll all be exhausted by the end of the week, though.  At least I know I will :)

Part of getting back into the old routines is that I'm now heading out and about with Kate and Ethan during the day.  I realized this week that I must not have done too much of this back in December because my back has been aching all week from lugging around the carseat.  I try not to carry the carseat in if I don't have to and rely a lot on the Moby wrap that the girls got me for my birthday, but still.  Kate, Ethan, and I have managed a couple of playdates this week, grocery shopping, and music class, so far.


I've come to realize that the third child just has to go with the flow.  This poor guy gets woken up at least once a day (often times more) because we need to leave to do something (like pick Anna up from school).  And he has to nurse in all kinds of random places.  So far he seems to be okay with this kind of a life; at least his pacifier is very soothing for him.  I don't really want to think about what life might be like if he were one of those babies who wouldn't take a pacifier.

We're trying hard to get a good picture of Ethan smiling, but it just hasn't worked yet.  Maybe this weekend when Matt and I are both home for a bit :)  We'll keep trying; these first smiles are so precious!

Anna and Kate are still doing great as big sisters.  Anna can handle much more responsibility with Ethan than we were even expecting, and Kate just can't get enough of touching, kissing, and staring at him.


We were able to get out and play in the snow on Sunday afternoon as a family (minus Ethan).  It's a good thing we could enjoy the snow for a bit since this week we're having temperatures in the 40s and much of the snow is melting away, or at least getting to that "dirty" state.



1 comment:

Sandy Adams said...

Ethan is such a beautiful baby! The girls can't stop giggling in the snow it seems.