Friday, October 25, 2013

Cold weather

So within a week we went from highs in the 70s to highs in the 40s and 30s.  I guess this was bound to happen sooner or later, we were just all hoping for later, rather than sooner.  Kate is complaining these days about having to put on a coat, hat, and gloves before we go out to play.  I don't have the heart to tell her that it's only going to get worse before it gets better.

Before the big freeze over the weekend, we picked the rest of the cherry tomatoes (all shades from green to red) and are rationing them each day.  I don't know how the girls will adjust when they don't get to have their daily bowl of tomatoes :)

The big weather change brought on a nasty round of headaches for me :(  At least I can take my medication for it now, but they're still not fun.  After a bad round like this one, I have a renewed appreciation for feeling "normal" and enjoy the little blessings each day.

Before the weather got cold, the kids and I went to a local flower/garden shop and participated in their scarecrow-making station.  We didn't realize at the time that we should have brought kids clothes instead of Matt's clothes; our scarecrow required a LOT of straw and turned out to be really big.  The girls wanted to call him "Fatto" (because he looks really fat), but we decided Frank Fatto was better ;)


Kate's preschool class sang at the McFarland Lutheran Church on Sunday.  None of her classmates were there to sing with her :(, but the 3's class and the morning preK class all made for a nice group of kids.


On Monday Kate was special person at preschool.  She was SO excited, mostly because she got to ring the bell during class.  We helped her prepare for the interview portion by asking her a wide range of questions on Sunday during breakfast.  She did a great job on Monday.  When asked what her favorite part of preschool was, she said "Making new friends" ... gotta love this kid!

Kate, Ethan, and I have been spending more time together in the basement these days.  It's great exercise for the kids, and when it's too cold and/or wet to be outside, we can find lots to do down there.  Ethan's favorite activity is going up and down the slide ... not exactly the correct way.

Otherwise we're working on "winterizing" here, moving firewood into the basement and raking/collecting leave.  Matt and I are both hoping for a few more nice days before the cold really comes to stay; more than any other year, this fall has really seemed to slip by.

No comments: