Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Then again ...

We were all packed up and ready to go this morning at 7:15 a.m.  The last thing I do on these mornings is call P4 to ask if they have a bed available for Anna, which they almost always do since she is on their weekly schedule for receiving chemotherapy.

Well, last night we had severe weather .. again .  This time there was some kind of water damage at the hospital; I'm not sure what kind.  Apparently some of the rooms were unavailable.  The nurses were going to call back when they had more information.  So ... flexibility.

Leah, our helper, arrived at 7:30.  Anna and I were supposed to be gone.  We weren't.

Kate and Matt left at 7:45 for Camp Kindergarten and work.

We hadn't heard anything by 9.  I called again.  They were having a meeting at 9:30 about what to do with the patients (like Anna) who were supposed to be admitted.  So ... patience.

We hadn't heard anything by 10:30.  I called again.  (My rationale was that one of us needed to pick Kate up at 11:10; Ethan needed lunch and a nap soon; Anna would need a nap soon; we needed to make a plan for the following hour.)  Still no real word, but we probably wouldn't need to leave within the hour.

Leah left to get Kate; I fed Ethan and ate lunch myself.

About 11, Anna's primary nurse practitioner called.  We both laughed at the situation; it's getting to be like a comedy of errors here, at least now that we're past the critical stages.

She gave us two options:
1) Anna and I could come in to day-treatment by noon for pre-hydration and be transferred upstairs to P4 by the end of the day.  However, the day treatment rooms are small, windowless rooms without access to much interaction or fun and then Anna wouldn't be discharged until late on Wednesday night.
2) We could try this round of chemo a third time tomorrow morning.

After thinking for a few minutes, I went with option 2.  Anna overheard the conversation and wasn't too happy with the decision.  She was ready to go today, wanted to see her friends at the hospital, but was also very tired after not having had much of a nap yesterday due to the MRI and appointment in the middle of the day.  After her nap, she was feeling much happier.


On the bright side, this flexibility and patience all happened IN OUR HOME!  And Leah was here ALL DAY!  It was a beautiful day; Anna had a productive and good day (except for that pre-nap meltdown); Ethan enjoyed himself; Kate had a fun day; we got so much done; and we ended the day with a good  playdate.

Not what I was expecting when I woke up today, but I'll take it.

By the way, it's been awhile since the fundraising website was up and the benefit happened, but thanks again to all who participated.  We can't express enough what a relief it is to not have to worry about the money aspect of everything right now.  Thanks.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

1 comment:

Sandy Adams said...

What wonderful role models you and Matt are for your children. They certainly appear well-adjusted now and they have a great shot for the future! Talk about character building!