Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Monday's results

The MRI results from Monday are stable.  That's good.  Anna's MRIs will never be "clear" because there are residual spots in her central nervous system.  However, the location of the original tumor is very, very small, and was actually smaller in Monday's scan than it was in August.  Residual spots can still be seen on her spine, too.  But none of them are growing and there is no evidence of metastasized disease.

Her CBC (complete blood count) labs were fine as were her blood chemistries.  That's also good.  Her bone marrow is healing.

The repeat thyroid test was still off.  We haven't yet spoken with the endocrine doctor, but we have been told that Anna may need to start on hormone replacement therapies.  Not an emergency situation, but one with long term ramifications.

The day, for all of us, was long and full of many emotions.  Anna started her day with a visit from her physical therapist at home.  We are all in the very beginning stages of transitioning Anna to out-patient rehab therapies ... begin logic puzzle #324.  Who, what, where, when, how ... between many organizations, buildings, and people.

After therapy, Anna and I headed across town to the hospital.  We ran into someone we knew from Child Life on the first floor in the midst of the hospital's Christmas shopping set-up; those at the hospital work tirelessly to make life as "normal" as possible for the sick kids.  Parents came down all afternoon to find and wrap gifts for their kids who would be at the hospital on Christmas Day.

On the first floor, we met up with someone who would be conducting an interview with Anna and I regarding the end of Anna's treatment.  This is the first study in which Anna has participated.  Basically, the researchers are looking into what hospitals can do to help make the treatment portion of a child's cancer diagnosis more manageable for the patient and family.  Anna did her half hour interview right away, but I had mine when Anna first went into the scanner.

We had just enough time between the interview and when Anna was scheduled to check-in to head up to the 4th floor and visit with some nurses.  As always, they were glad to see us, but I think Anna's memories of her time there are fading, either that or she was already tired and feeling a bit cruddy from not having water or formula due to the impending anesthesia.

All of the preparation for the MRI went smoothly and Anna started her scan right on time.  Then I went back for my interview, letting the researcher know the good things the hospital did, as well as any suggestions we had for improvement.  Given our experiences this past year, I felt that we had some helpful things to share.

Anna's scan was scheduled for three hours, so when the interview was over I plopped down in the first floor lobby to wait.  I should have known by this point, but for some reason I forgot that by merely sitting there in the lobby of the Children's Hospital, I would see people I knew.

In the hour or so that I continued to wait, I interacted with three separate individuals with whom our family has different memories.  The first was the doctor we met at St. Mary's when Anna had her very first MRI; he was the one who shared the results with me.  Although I had seen him once or twice during the summer and fall, this was the first time I worked up the nerve to talk to him.  He remembers us and actually had heard about Anna a few times through the resident grapevine.

Another was one of the oncology doctors with whom we worked when Anna was in-patient.  She recognized me first and came over to see how things were going with us all.

The third was another oncology mom who I saw in passing a lot on P4.  Her son was also diagnosed with brain cancer, but the specifics of his treatment were different from Anna's.

Turns out Anna's scan finished early (hooray!), so I went back to help her wake up from anesthesia.  Anesthesia is rough on our kid.  I don't honestly remember how many times during 2014 she has undergone anesthesia, but I can probably count on one hand the number of times that she woke up from it "smoothly".  All of the other times she is very tearful and upset, before she is even aware of life around her.  I don't know how we all managed the daily anesthesia back in March and April.

Monday it took about an hour for the real Anna to start coming through, but she wasn't really past it all until we got home.

While she was at the tale end of her time in her recovery room, Anna's primary oncologist came by to discuss the results of the MRI and the different blood tests.  Another professional who came along was the radiation oncologist with whom we worked in the spring.  I hadn't seen her since April.  Not only did they show me some of the images from the most recent scans, but they also reviewed a few of the scans from February with me.

Then Anna and I got to go home and we both had an opportunity to play with the rest of the family before bed, and one more day of school before Christmas Break.

One step at a time.  That's about how we approach each day, and often time each moment of the days.

Time for prayers

Thanksgiving
Please give thanks that Anna's most recent scans are stable.  That, in itself, is a miracle.
Please thank God for the opportunity Anna and I had to share some of our experiences with a researcher who can, hopefully, put the knowledge to good use.
Please give thanks that Matt is able to take time off around the holidays; we are all enjoying having him home :)
Please thank God for Advent traditions.  We love hearing our kids share their excitement surrounding the birth of Jesus.
Please continue to give thanks for all of those who are working with our family.
Please continue to give thanks that we have made it this far.

Requests
Please continue to pray for those working with our family.
Please continue to pray that Anna makes amazing progress with her rehab therapies.
Please ask God to guide us as we begin preparing for the next stage of Anna's rehabilitations.
Please pray for peace and comfort for those whose hearts are hurting this Christmas season.

Christmas blessings!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We are so glad Anna is doing better! We continue to pray for her daily and will now pray specifically about her thyroid. Blessings to you all!