Sunday, March 22, 2015

Ugh.

It was inevitable that the virus was going to spread throughout our family.  Everyone has experienced it, albeit with different symptoms.

Anna went through the worst of it, but Ethan's experience has been a close second.  He started feeling under the weather on Thursday and throughout the day developed a croup-like cough.  Friday and Saturday he was miserable.  He's still down today and his cough isn't much better.

However, his symptoms are more manageable than Anna's were.  His body has the ability to regulate its own cortisol levels (unlike Anna who will require stress dosing for months to come), and we can trust his body's self-regulation in terms of food intake and rest (unlike Anna who has multiple reasons which might make her throw up and/or feel tired).  Plus, Ethan has proven that he can sleep adequately, even in the midst of an unpleasant cough.  Anna, however, is still waking up with coughing fits.

Kate, Matt, and I had more typical cold-like symptoms.  Of the three of us, I probably felt the worst for a few days.  By Friday, when both girls were going to be home from school anyway, I knew I couldn't function as a parent with how I was feeling physically.  Matt stayed home and I stayed in bed.

Kate is currently on her way to my parents' home as part of her Spring Break tradition.  She and Ethan were supposed to go together, with the rest of us joining them on Tuesday afternoon.  But Ethan is sick, so plans change.  The "new" plan is for Matt, Anna, Ethan, and me to join Kate on Tuesday afternoon and then we all come home on Wednesday.  We'll see if that happens.

I have been reminded again in the past few weeks how little control I/we have over life's circumstances.  We can make plans and have hopes, but then something like RSV hits (or brain cancer, for that matter) and throws everything off for a few weeks (or years ...).  It's hard to stay positive and optimistic during these kinds of trials.

But we're trying.  We still are hopeful and continue to make plans.  This virus has taught me, though, that being flexible and letting go of control are important characteristics to continue working on.

Time for Prayers

Thanksgiving

Please give thanks that Anna is on the mend.
Please give thanks that no one besides Anna developed much of a fever.
Please thank God that Kate is well enough to have some fun with Grandma and Grandpa.
Please thank God that Matt has been able to take time off of work to help take care of the family.

Requests

Please pray for wisdom, healing, peace, patience, joy, strength, and rest for all of us in our family.

No comments: