Before we left, I would tell people that I hoped whatever good memories we made during the weekend would outshine any challenging moments that came our way. Matt thought this was a depressing way to look at the trip, but our little life has taught me to be prepared for the worst possible scenario. I'd rather have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised than have unreachable expectations and be disappointed.
So the weekend surpassed the low expectations I had for my family. In fact, everyone did well enough that Matt and I were talking on the way home about "the next trip". The kids were wonderful, both during the long drive (1100 miles each way) in addition to the time up in the mountains. Matt was amazing, giving me the opportunity to reconnect with family I hadn't seen in years and build relationships with Adam's new family. The setting was ideal and the ceremony was simply beautiful.
It certainly helped that all we had to do was get our family to the venue. The combined families (parents, aunts, uncles, family friends, etc.) did all of the food prep and clean-up. Our family had a 2-bedroom suite for the weekend, complete with kitchenette and living room. The kids had an endless supply of outdoor and indoor spaces to play, as well as many family members (new and old) to entertain with stories, jokes, and games. We are so grateful to everyone who helped make our stay as easy as it could be.
Instead of chronicling the trip moment by moment, here are a few of the pictures we gathered that give a good snapshot of the weekend.
When I said the location was beautiful, I meant it.
(We didn't swim in the pool ... too cold. Some of the younger crowd decided to on Saturday, though!)
Although we didn't play in the pool, Ethan enjoyed dipping his fingers in whenever he was allowed.
We had piles of rocks and other natural spaces right outside the door to our rooms. Kate, Miss Nature-lover, was in heaven.
My parents brought along a lawn Jenga game. Kate and Ethan thought the blocks would be good for building.
Anna and Kate played a rousing game of beanbag toss on Friday afternoon. Their final score was something like 50 to 45.
Tanqy, Jess and Adam's dog, was a hit with all of our kids, although it took Ethan awhile to warm up to her.
The kids also enjoyed the old school video game in the corner of the game room.
Anna entertained my aunts on Friday afternoon by telling them some of the jokes from her deep joke repertoire.
Did I mention that the setting was breath-taking?
Oh, yeah. There was a wedding, too :)
The happy couple.
The girls were originally supposed to be "leaf girls" for the wedding, sprinkling leaves instead of flowers. The job kind of turned into a family affair.
This is how lawn Jenga is designed to be played :)
Mother of the groom and her sister. Aren't they beautiful?
Ethan made buddies with my Uncle Paul, who read him many books. Both my aunts gave our kids a few gifts to help entertain them on the way home ... another blessing!
Parents of the groom ... they are SO proud.
Anna and Grandma take a break from a game of Phase 10.
Have I mentioned the spectacular setting? Or the awesome weather on the day of the wedding?
Between the wedding, the brunch, and the evening activities, the wedding couple and their guests played all manner of games on the lawn.
Not only did we not have to prepare any food, the meals were amazing. Buffalo burgers, fresh potatoes from the potato farmers, homemade pizza, chili ... just awesome.
Kate and Ethan made a wedding friend, the only other kid under the age of 16 the whole weekend.
Ethan was a well-loved addition to the weekend for many of the older generation.
It wasn't all sunshine and roses for our family, but no one wants to hear about the bad times. The good moments definitely outweighed the challenges.
We were the first to leave on Sunday morning. 17+ hours of driving still lay ahead for our family.
At least we were able to say good-bye to everyone. Although our kids never really adjusted to the time change (up before 6 a.m. every morning), they powered through very well.
We made many fun memories during the long days of driving as well. Books, movies, silly games, homework, etc. Mr. Ethan was entertained the most by the "for sale" flyers from the gas stations. Like father like son.
Did I mention yet the beautiful setting?
Or the happy couple?
Because if I didn't, I should :)
Please give thanks for the opportunity to celebrate the wedding of a wonderful couple; we couldn't have asked for much better.































No comments:
Post a Comment