"But one thing is needful: and Mary has chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." Luke 10:42
Early in the summer, one of the sermons at our church was on the story of Mary and Martha. Since that time, "one thing needful" has been on my mind.
One of the things I love about hearing/reading Bible stories again and again is how different parts have different meanings at different times in my life. I don't know how many times I have heard the story of Mary and Martha, but this summer I listened to it with different ears.
In the midst of therapy goals, educational goals, social goals, medical goals, etc., one thing is truly needful in the life of our daughter. In fact, only one thing is truly needful in the lives of all three of our children and in our lives as adults ... that we love Jesus and trust Him for our salvation.
Whether or not Anna walks independently, or eats completely orally, or learns as her peers learn, or has her own group of friends, one thing is needful.
Whether or not our children "succeed" in life as the world defines success, one thing is needful.
This summer when I would get overwhelmed with the work of coordinating the medical needs, the therapy needs, the educational needs, Anna would often pipe up in the background by singing along with a song on the Christian radio station. It was always a good reminder that one thing is needful.
We are glad, of course, with all of the progress and goals met by Anna, Kate, and Ethan, but keeping "one thing needful" in mind, we have a certain peace about the rest of life. Of that we are thankful.
Wednesday, September 28, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment