Monday, April 10, 2017

Colorado Trip - Part 2

Friday was our first tourist day.  After our morning walk to Adam and Jess' for breakfast and socializing, Kate and I ventured across town to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, which just happens to have reciprocal membership with the Madison Children's Museum ... we LOVE our membership :)

When we chose this activity, I didn't really know what to expect from Kate.  She's been to plenty of museums, but never without her siblings who, let's be honest, can't handle as much as she can.

Oh. My. Goodness.  Kate was in heaven.  We arrived at about 9:30 and I had to force Kate to leave at 4:00, with only a 30 minute lunch break in the middle of the day.  We could have spent a few days at this one museum.


We started the day by posing with the large T. Rex skeleton, but moved quickly on to the more in-depth exhibits.  Gems and anything with animals were high on Kate's list of things to see, but we managed to squeeze in a few others as well.

These next two photos describe how Kate absorbed each and every scene with such detail and awe.



At some point we stopped for lunch and I checked in with Kate about how she wanted to spend the rest of her day.  She was thrilled to stay at this museum, provided that we could pick out souvenirs for the kids in our family (stuffed animals for the girls ... seriously!?... and a NASA space set for Ethan).


We also headed up to the observation deck to see the, once again, beautifully clear view of Denver and the mountains.


Then we just kept going.  I learned plenty and Kate and I managed to have great conversations about just about everything we were seeing.  She's a fun museum buddy right now.




We probably shouldn't have saved our last exhibit for the end, but I bet if we had found it earlier in the day, we would have spent too much time there.  The interactive health exhibit was very well done, with the ability to obtain personal information about your heart, your height/arm span, your stride, and plenty of other topics which we didn't have time to even look through.

Our very last activity of the day was an experiment in which we tested different cleaning products to see which one was most effective at killing bacteria.  Lab coats, goggles, and gloves were required :)


Bleach was the best killer in our test, in case anyone is wondering.


Then it was time to go.  I'm sure we would have stayed longer if we could have, but we were scheduled to babysit baby Nash so his parents could go out to eat just the two of them.

Mama and Papa Bear were a little nervous about leaving Baby Bear, but they were also confident in our ability to take care of the little guy.

It's been awhile since I've had an infant take a nap on my shoulder, but I enjoyed the experience almost as much as Nash.  Babies can be very fun and sweet, but it's also nice to hand them back to mom and dad when the day is through so that I can get a good night's sleep :)


Kate spent some of the nap part of the evening sketching and writing, and playing with Tanqy.


Then once Nash woke up, he was all smiles and such a joy.


Watching Kate spend time with Nash reminded me SO much of when Ethan was an infant, both with Kate's interactions at the time with her little brother, but also with how Anna used to interact with Ethan when he was an infant.


 I think these two enjoyed their first experiences with one another :)

Then Adam and Jess came home, and our adventure was officially half over.

No comments: