Sunday, June 11, 2017

Family Vacation - Day 3

Wednesday morning we all slept in a bit and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast.  Thank goodness!  We had planned for Wednesday to be our "Green Bay" day and it turned out to be a full day, with lots of sunshine and exercise.


As a family, we decided that we wanted to have a tour of Lambeau Field as well as spend some time at Bay Beach Amusement Park.  After picking up some tickets for an afternoon tour at Lambeau, we headed back to Bay Beach for the morning and another picnic lunch.

The girls really had their hearts set on riding the one big roller coaster, but the line was l-o-n-g, and Ethan is about 8 inches too short for it.


So the boy and I left Matt and the girls waiting in line while we tried out a bunch of the kiddie rides.

Jeeps, race cars, planes, swings, and a helicopter ride kept us busy until the others worked their way through the line.  According to Ethan, none of these rides were "long enough".






The girls said the roller coaster was fun, but the wait was really, really long.  It turns out that Anna was eligible for a disability "fast pass", which allowed her to sidestep the long lines (she was using her walker again).  Unfortunately, Matt didn't learn about this option until after they had waited in line.  Good information to know, though.


Kate and I tried out the super tall slide and then learned that Ethan could also ride this slide, as long as he sat on a parent's lap.  Then we learned that Anna could do it, too, with the same accommodation!  The five of us ended up going down the slide three more times (I think), before we figured we should use our remaining tickets for another ride :)


The kids really wanted to do the Scrambler so Matt took Kate and Anna using the fast pass, but Ethan and I had to wait in line since the pass only allows for Anna and three guests.  However, I didn't really want to ride the Scrambler ... so the kids ended up doing it all together a second time.  Boy, were they squished :)


After a quick, but late, lunch we headed back to Lambeau for the tour.


Although Matt and I have been to one Packers game together years ago, and Anna came with us to a Packers Family Night when she was three, no one in our family had ever visited the stadium for a tour or other sight-seeing reasons.  The whole experience was pretty memorable and I think the kids will be able to look back on it now whenever they watch a Packers game, or at least I hope so :)

We opted for admission to the Hall of Fame as well as the tour, so we were able to see and interact with many of the displays.  I'm sure Matt and I could have spent much longer reading all of the information, but the kids' attention spans by this point were not what they were earlier in the week.



The Hall of Fame also includes the championship hall where the Superbowl trophies and a few of the Superbowl rings are kept.  Kate, in particular, likes this room.



Our tour of the stadium was wonderful; I'm guessing that the tour guides are all pretty talented, but we particularly enjoyed ours.  Since we visited during a week when most WI schools were still in session, our family included the only people under age 50 on this tour, which apparently made our kids even more endearing to the adults than they might normally be.  One of the guides offered to take plenty of photos of us, and here are a few of the better ones, from upstairs, way upstairs, and then down on the field.




We all enjoyed ourselves, but Matt and I also learned quite a bit about the history of the franchise and stadium.  Fun stuff.

We happened to have just a few more tickets for Bay Beach so we stopped there on the way back "home" to get some ice cream and then ride the train.  We were all hot and tired by that point :(







But we made it back to the house for dinner and some more time spent enjoying the outdoors before turning in for the last night.



No comments: