Sunday, August 13, 2017

Summer!

The last week has been busy.  Good, but busy.

Last week Monday was a garden day during which we finished up processing the first half of the corn, canned peaches, picked a whole host of other things, and prepped for Tuesday.  Since the kids and I had been missing our time together and we had a handful of errands in the afternoon, we included some playtime at our favorite local park.


Water, rocks, playground, and time together were all good things.





Tuesday was an early MRI day ... 6:30 a.m. report time.  We actually prefer these early ones because they are technically shorter (Anna only has to report an hour before the scan begins instead of 90+ minutes early), and we are usually home a little after lunch so we still have a good portion of the rest of the day.

The entire procedure went very smoothly for Anna again.  I have conflicted feelings about this procedure becoming so routine.  We heard back about the preliminary results before we left; everything remains stable.  Good news!

Tuesday evening we played in the pool with Grandma, who came again to help me in the morning so we could be ready to leave for Augusta on Wednesday afternoon.

Wednesday morning we processed some more green beans and more peaches, while also packing and preparing for our trip.  This momma was tired, not only from the work, but also because Kate ended up sharing the cold she dealt with over the weekend with the rest of us.  I didn't realize how draining this cold must have been on Kate until I had it, too :(

But the trip up north to Grandma and Grandpa's was good, even if all of the adults involved had plenty of things on their minds/plates.  I went blueberry picking twice, once with my dad and once with my dad and the kids.

Again, Anna loved the picking experience and was much more mobile now that she is using her crutches.


 
Ethan did an okay job, but he wanted to just explore instead of pick.



Kate picked well (and ate well) until she found the cat.  Then she hung out with the cat for the rest of the time.



Blackberry picking, walking through the woods, gator rides, playing, and eating all add to the good memories we already have of our trips up north.



When you have a couple of peach trees that are producing vigorously, you even end up bringing along some peaches on a trip like this ... to eat, give away, make into peach cobbler, or make into peach jam.  It's so hard to see good food like this go to waste!



Anna and I were able to spend the morning with Melanie and family on Friday, even though she was in the midst of a crazy week full of extra events, too.  These girls are developing a fun connection; it was hard to say good-bye.

Friday afternoon we went back to our favorite beach and were one of only two families there.  The kids had an awesome time while I was able to just sit back and relax for awhile.






Saturday morning we were able to visit some of my mom's friends who have started raising bees.  It was a fun and educational way to end our trip.

In the first 24 hours we were back, we canned more peaches, made more peach fruit leather, and picked and froze more corn, green beans, and zucchini.

When I say "we", I really mean all of us.  Matt and the kids were GREAT helpers this afternoon with the beans and the corn.



Whew!  We're almost caught up on garden things.  And then the tomatoes will be ripe ...

While the kids and I were gone, Matt took a couple of days off of work and was able to complete several home projects that had been weighing on his mind for a few months.  He also slept in, stayed up late, and went mountain biking a few times.  It's good for him to have a break from the normal routine, but we all missed him by the time we came home.

I made the mistake of telling Kate tonight that there are three weeks left until school starts.  That doesn't sound like a lot to her ... to me either to be completely honest :(

No comments: