Memorial Day weekend was hot, hot, hot here. But that didn't stop the adults in our family from working outdoors as much as we could.
While I worked on fruit trees, Matt worked very hard to finish building the chickens' pen. Of course, this project (along with many of the others I have asked Matt to take on in years past) took longer and was more work than we anticipated. But it's finally done! It looks great AND it's about as predator secure as he could possibly make it.
The chicks have officially moved out of the garage and are loving living outside all the time. (Actually, we aren't sure if all five of them are girls at this point. One of the darker ones is developing some traits that appear to be more rooster-like ... hmmm.)
In the midst of the work, Matt and Ethan were able to partake of Matt's birthday present from Ethan - an evening at the racetrack!
The boys left on Sunday evening around dinner time for the Tournament of Destruction at the Jefferson Speedway. Events included backup races, bump and run races, and spin to win.
From the stories they told and the videos they shared, it sounds like the two of them had an awesome time. Surprisingly, our 5 year old didn't have too many adverse effects after staying up way too late that night. Way to go, third child!
On Monday, Kate and I participated in the Memorial Day parade in McFarland, while the other three watched (and collected candy).
The longer we live in this community, the more people we know and recognize during events like these.
The rest of last week was full. After finishing up thinning and bagging the fruit on our fruit trees, I realized that our garden had been almost overrun by weeds. But, most of Wednesday was spent in the kitchen catching up on food tasks since it rained most of the day (and made the weeds grow even taller!). Then, Thursday was an "Anna appointment day" ... a.k.a. appointments, visits, meetings for Anna from 9:30 a.m. straight through until 4:30 p.m. At least Ethan, Anna, and I made the most of it by having an indoor picnic while waiting for her AFOs to be adjusted and then an ice cream treat before therapy.
But ... Ethan and I played in the pool just the two of us on Tuesday afternoon. That was fun :)
By Friday, I needed to work in my garden, for many different reasons. Ethan helped and I felt a lot better by the end of the day; days like Thursday still drain me mentally, physically, and emotionally.
While Ethan and I worked on Friday, the girls participated in Waubesa's yearly Olympiad (field day). The weather was beautiful and it sounds like both Kate and Anna have some good memories from the day.
That evening we even managed a family campfire to round out a full day for everyone.
Saturday was another work day in our home, with the kids pitching in whenever and however they could. For the afternoon and evening, we hosted our book club, which included lots of playtime and a cookout. This group of kids is pretty cool when they get together.
Now we're into the LAST week of school for Anna and Kate. There's a lot still on the list of "things to get done before summer officially starts." Yikes!
Monday, June 4, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











No comments:
Post a Comment