Friday, May 22, 2020

A Frog's Hero

A Frog’s Hero‍‍

All I was doing 
was sitting there. 
And then the crushing, 
almost 
unbearable 
weight came. 
The horrible 
pain. 
It left almost 
as quickly 
as it had come.
I am Scraw, the toad, and this is my story 
of how bad things you least expected to happen, 
can be made right. 
This story is of 
forgiveness.

After I had dragged myself out of danger, 
I rested. 
My legs were beginning to go numb, 
but whenever I moved, 
it still hurt. 
Like 
  fire 
    stabbing 
      into 
        my back. 
Then I heard a familiar 
roar. 
I struggled vainly, 
trying to escape the 
terrible memories 
that 
haunted me. 
But by the time I 
realized it was 
no use, 
the roar had 
disappeared. 
A few moments later,
a huge monster 
leaned over me. 
A Bigfoot!
I had only heard 
about these great, 
two-legged 
creatures 
that 
roamed the land. 
They killed plenty of 
toads 
and 
frogs, 
our 
distant and slimy 
cousins, 
so I had a right to be 
terrified 
when the thing saw me. 
It must have been surprised, too, 
because then, 
the Bigfoot jumped. 
I struggled even more, 
trying to hop, 
or run. 
I immediately regretted it as 
pain shot through me. 
The Bigfoot, 
and later the pain, 
creeped away s l o w l y. 
But unlike the pain, 
the Bigfoot did not return.

After some time of struggling and resting, 
I heard the strange bigfoot voices. 
And huge hands reached 
d
  o
    w
      n 
to pick me up. 
I thrashed and bucked, 
but the hands held tight. 
I was lifted high off of the ground. 
My stomach flew into my throat. 
I had only ever been in the air when i 
hopped, 
but I had heard stories of the flying feeling. 
And then we began to move. 
As we raced over the ground, 
I realized 
my 
rescuer. 
The Bigfoot! 
The same one that had found me. 
I was very grateful, 
and I 
wished 
I could tell it that. 
I knew it would never understand me, 
so instead I 
remained 
silent 
and tried not to lose the 
dragonfly 
I had enjoyed 
yesterday 
for 
lunch.

I was in a peaceful place, 
grassy 
and 
safe. 
The Bigfoots had 
brought me here. 
Funny, 
how the same things that almost killed me, 
carried a 
glimmer of 
hope. 
I sat, 
wondering 
and 
pondering, 
when I felt a 
final peace 
come over me. 

The floating sensation 
returned, 
but no hands held me. 
I looked down, 
and saw my body. 
At first I was frightened, 
but then I knew. 
I turned and looked up. 
There, waiting for me, 
were hundreds of 
frogs 
and 
toads. 
I couldn’t wait to 
join 
them.

Author’s Note
This tale is based off of a true story when I was in third grade. My friend Allie and I rescued a toad that we think was hit by a car. In third grade I wrote a narrative piece about it, and now I have turned it into a longer story from the frog’s perspective. This story is very meaningful to me and my friend Allie that helped me save him.

No comments: