Me: I'm going to go put a load of laundry in the washing machine.
Anna: Why do you need to do laundry?
Me: Because our clothes are dirty.
Anna: But why are our clothes dirty?
Me: Because we wore them and you and Kate were playing outside so they got dirty.
Anna: But why were we playing outside?
and on and on ...
Or
Anna: Where's Daddy?
Me: He's at work.
Anna: Why is he at work?
Me: Because he needs to earn money for the family.
Anna: But why does he need to earn money for the family?
Me: So when we go to a store we can buy the things we need.
Anna: But why do we need to buy things at a store?
and on and on ...
I'm glad she's curious, but sometimes I treasure the silent moments :)
The last conversation I mentioned prompted Anna to say to Matt one morning "Thank you, Daddy, for going to work so we can have money to buy things when we go to Walmart." At least she's really absorbing all that's around her so I have the sufficient motivation to continue answering her questions.
On a completely different note, Mother's Day weekend was great (for the most part) in our house. My mom came down on Saturday and met Anna and I for a mother-daughter brunch at our church. We all had a great time together, especially since those at our table were our friends from church who also have a 2 or 3 year old daughter (and a younger sibling). My mom stuck around for the afternoon to see Kate and Matt, but left in time to get back to Eau Claire that night.
My official Mother's Day started at 12:02 a.m. when Anna woke up to go potty ... thanks, Anna ... but then got better when both girls slept in until almost 7 ... whoa!
At that point, Sunday morning started with my "surprises" ... cards, flowers, a balloon. Then we had a challenging morning before and at church with our daughter who is still testing EVERY boundary we set. But after her nap, things went much better. Matt and Anna made a delicious dinner (spinach-stuffed pork chops, broccoli salad, blueberry cobbler dessert ... yum!) while I went for a bike ride and then we played around outside after dinner.

This morning, unfortunately, has not been as pleasant, mainly because Kate threw up all over herself and her carseat on our way to the Petzold's for a playdate. Thankfully, David helped me clean things up a bit before we turned around and came back home. Poor Kate must have caught a stomach bug that's been going around, although I can't really imagine when. Anyway, nothing else has come back up since the first episode and she had some juice, toast, and applesauce at lunch. Hopefully this one goes through fast and doesn't hit anyone else in the family.
Now we just have to gear up for Kate's birthday this weekend; I can't believe she's almost 1!
No comments:
Post a Comment