By Thursday evening, I knew I needed something to get excited about on Friday, so we decided to have a "Green Day". Not "green" as in environmentally green ... we're not there yet, but just the color green. We had some green turtle shaped pancakes for breakfast, went for a hike at the University of Wisconsin Arboretum (lots of green trees, right?), did some green art projects outside in the afternoon, and had green crust pizza with zucchini (and other things) for dinner. It was actually pretty fun and since then Anna has asked for her day to be different colors. To which I give the standard reply "If we do it all the time, it's not special."So how are these girls doing? Pretty well, for the most part. Anna is still very conscious of her feelings and those of the people around her. She's also started this phase where she tries to compromise and explain herself fully so she can get her way. Here's an example. Last week we had a playdate at a park with someone Kate's age; I suggested Anna bring along her doll to the park for a playmate. Since then every time we leave the house she asks to bring along the baby. If I say no, she responds with "Well, but I could bring the stroller along for her also, or maybe I could leave her in her carseat in the car. I think she'd really like to come along with us. She might be lonely if she stays here at home." We often go back and forth and back and forth until I either say yes, or respond with "I'm the mom so I'm in charge and I say not this time." To this she'll say "Well, when I'm the mom then I get to be in charge." True enough.

As you can see, both girls like to play in Daddy's truck :)
Kate is still learning and changing every day. She's picking up words like a sponge now and most of her favorite words have to do with food ... imagine that :) She can actually identify most of the fruit bearing trees in our yard now. She'll go to the plum tree and say "pum! pum!" or to the pear tree and say "peh! peh!" A friend of ours brought us a box of peaches back from Michigan yesterday so when Kate sees those she says "peach! peach!" The repetition and exlamation marks are on purpose :)
The girls still doing well together, most of the time. I think like anyone, however, they get a little tired of being around one another and just need some time apart. One evening recently, Matt took Anna on some errands and left Kate home with me. Kate was in HEAVEN. She found a toy in Anna's room and proceeded to play with it for about a half hour! I think she relished the fact that she could play by herself in Anna's room without someone (Anna) coming in and telling her she couldn't do whatever she was doing.

Anyway, quick garden update. Yesterday my friend Amy came over and we canned 28 quarts of spaghetti sauce ... yum. Now that the tomatoes are mostly done, we're into the fruit season. Amy brought me a box of peaches to can; we've got grapes that are ripe; apples to make into applesauce; and plums and raspberries to pick every few days. Lots of work, but lots of "yum" :)
No comments:
Post a Comment