Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Hard Decisions

Things are not good for Anna.

Yesterday Anna started showing symptoms of increased intracranial pressure again.  The doctors were pretty concerned that her shunt might be clogged.  She had a quick brain MRI, but that came back showing that the shunt was working properly.  The next step was to see if Anna had contracted some type of infection.  Some spinal fluid was drawn via the shunt and she was started on a heavy dose of antibiotics.  She hasn't had a fever and the initial results show that it wasn't an infection.

During this time Anna's breathing became very erratic, even to the point of not breathing for 5-10 seconds at a time.  The doctors wanted to do a long MRI to see what was going on inside Anna's head, but they were concerned about putting her under general anesthesia given her shallow breaths.  They decided to let Anna stay awake during the MRI and Matt and I were allowed to be in the room with her.  Anna did a good job staying still for the hour long procedure, but Matt and I were about a minute away from pressing our "panic button" towards the end because of the slowness of Anna's breaths.

We returned to the PICU after the MRI.  Anna was started on a super dose of steroids to try and take care of the apparent swelling inside her brain.

Then we received the bad news.  In the three weeks since Anna had her last, long MRI, the cancer has grown and spread.  This is very uncommon.  The disease itself is putting pressure on Anna's brainstem which is why she has been having trouble breathing, among other things.

Last night we had to make two hard decisions.  We decided that should Anna's breathing stop, we did not want her intubated.  That would have been the last resort, anyway, but we opted to stop just short of this invasive procedure.  Thankfully, Anna needed no external help breathing overnight.

The other hard decision we made was that should Anna's heart stop overnight, we chose not to have it restarted.  Since the problem lies in the brain, not the heart, restarting her heart would not have made much difference.  Thankfully, Anna's heart was fine overnight.

Anna's only hope would be to start intensive radiation therapy today here in Madison to try to kill all of the cancer cells invading her body.  We will be meeting with everyone sometime this morning to discuss this option.  We are told there is still hope for Anna's recovery, but her chances are much lower now.

At this point we do not want to speak with anyone outside our immediate families, but we wanted to share this latest step in Anna's journey with those who care and are praying.

Please pray today that God gives Matt and I clear guidance and wisdom with any decisions we have to make.

Please pray today that Anna is peaceful and without pain.  In spite of her obvious pain yesterday, she was a rockstar during her therapy sessions.  Her head really, really hurts whenever she is awake.

Anna has touched so many people's lives here in the hospital, in addition to those who know and love her outside of this building.

14 comments:

Cynthia said...

Dear Sara and Matt, Your latest communication is heart-breaking. I continue to pray for God's divine intervention and a miracle keeping in mind He is sovereign. He is giving you the strength you need and He will be with you always. I love you and I will not cease praying.
Cyndy D.

Unknown said...

I will continue to pray that God sends his angels to surround Anna and that they will bring healing to her. I pray that it is God's will to send a miracle of healing to her. My heart and love goes out to you all. Anna, like you all, are amazing. Love and hugs from our family to yours

Leah said...

Sending all of you all the love and prayers I have.

Mary said...

I truly can not find the words but know that God can interpret our most desperate pleas and intercede for His beloved children. Lifting you up to Him with so many, praying for the healing and strength Anna so needs right now and for Him to carry you through this completely un-treaded territory with the grace, peace, strength, and mercy only He can. I love you all.

Angie said...

Sending lots of love and prayers

Lauren Miller said...

My heart is breaking. Know that you are loved and that God is with you. Praying, praying, praying....

Unknown said...

We are praying with you, Sara. May God grant Anna a pain free and peaceful day. May He send special blessings of Guidance and Wisdom and Peace to you and Matt. We love you and your sweet family.

Sandy Adams said...

Mischnicks, I love you!

Unknown said...

Love to your whole family. Prayers for courage, wisdom, peace, and comfort during this difficult time. -Christi

number1colba said...

I too, don't have the words. I wish I was there to offer a hug, a shoulder to cry on, and another set of hands to pray with. Please know we will continue to pray for your sweet girl here in Missouri! Much love to all of you! Natalie

Dominica said...

Please know that our prayers are with you.

Unknown said...

We are praying!

Jill Koskelin said...

The Koskelins are praying for you all. We cannot begin to imagine what you're going through, but hope you can find some strength and some sleep, and that you're love for each other and faith in God will get you through each day. -Jill

Jackie said...

There are truly no words. We pray for you every night...for strength and wisdom for the two of you, and peace for Anna.