Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The rest of the family

Once upon a time this blog was about things other than Anna's cancer.  We originally started it to keep close family and friends up to date on Anna's daily activities and milestones when she was a baby.  Since then it turned into more of a journal for me personally, a way in which to record our lives and preserve memories from when our kids are young.  I'd like to continue to keep those goals in mind and make sure that I have a record of Ethan's toddlerhood and Kate's preschool life.  So ...

Ethan's a lot of fun right now.  I have always really enjoyed this stage of toddler development when babies have learned to walk and are learning to talk.  Ethan's a bit of a goof; he likes to make us laugh.  His walking is getting faster and faster; I don't think it will be too long before he can run.  He LOVES books.  Last week my dad said that he must have read at least 50 books with Ethan.  His favorite books are ones about trucks and trains; he's all boy :)

Kate has taught Ethan a variety of animal sounds and machine sounds.  Some favorites of ours are what cats say ("ye-ow!"), the way Ethan says "woo-woo" for trains, and how he sometimes can now say "mommy" instead of just "mama".  We love this little guy.

He seems to be weathering the current storm pretty well.  He misses his mama and his dada, but at least we're reassured that he won't remember these days.  He's resilient.

Kate has been coping with everything very well.  We've tried to keep life as consistent as possible for her.  She's still going to preschool Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays.  She has a dance class on Wednesday mornings, story time at the library on Thursday mornings, and Destination Discovery in McFarland on Friday mornings.

We've always said that Kate lives in the moment and that particular personality trait is serving her well these days.  She's still able to have lots of fun every day.  She misses us when we're gone, but is thrilled to see us again when she can.

Kate is dealing with Anna's illness in very age appropriate ways.  She's asking lots of questions, often at random times.  Some of our favorites were "Where do Mommy and Daddy sleep when they're at the hospital?" and "What color was Anna's tumor?"  If we can't answer her questions, we tell her that we'll ask the doctors.  Dr. Iskandar said to tell Kate that the tumor was gray :)

Kate has played "hospital" and "doctor" a bit with cars, trucks, dolls, babies, etc.  One of the child life specialists at the hospital gave Kate a doll with a hospital gown that she could use however she wanted.  Melissa and Kate decorated it to look like Anna.  Kate calls it her "Anna doll" and told us that when she misses Anna, she can hug her Anna doll.

Last night while I was having dinner with the younger kids and my mom, Kate said "I miss having dinner with our family" or something like that.  She's also had a few bad dreams, which is typical for her when she's under stress.  She's also resilient.

Matt is doing great, considering the circumstances.  He and I have learned a lot about each other in the past week.  God was working in our relationship prior to Anna's illness as well.  My mom wanted to make sure everyone knew how well Matt has done taking over at home while I have been at the hospital, and how he has been a good teacher for my mom in regards to the little things at home (laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc.)

He's planning on going back to work next week.  Matt's colleagues have been very understanding so far, but since we don't know exactly what this year holds, we don't want him to use all of this sick/leave time at the start of the calendar year.

My mom has been a huge help.  I think God has been preparing my mom (and dad, too) for this experience for awhile now.  My mom and I have always been grateful for our relationship, especially since I became a mom, but I don't think there are words to describe how blessed we both feel to have each other right now.

As for me, I'm okay, everything considered.  As the nurses keep reminding me, I need to take care of myself.  Saturday morning running errands with Kate and Ethan was good for me; Sunday morning worship was good for me; today having a "normal" Wednesday will be good for me.  Last night my mom got me a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup concrete from Culver's.  That was good for me :)

Yesterday I realized that our role as Anna's parents has evolved.  God is guiding us to be her advocates in the days and weeks to come.

Speaking of the future, we will be hiring our good friend, Melissa Wimmler, to help out in the coming months.  I believe that God has had a hand in this during the last few years.  We met Melissa a few years before Anna was born after she had graduated from UW with a degree in Agronomy (I think?).  We were just starting a GIFT group at church and she was the first person we invited to join our group.  God led us to ask Melissa to be Anna's godmother and their relationship has been a blessing to both Melissa and Anna.  Melissa decided to go back to school a few years back to become an elementary teacher.  She graduated a year ago in January and began substituting teaching.  This past summer Melissa came over several times to help out with the kids and the garden.  (Side note, I think we're still going to have our big garden this year for my benefit and to keep things as close to "normal" as we can.  But I'm going to need help weeding, picking, and preserving.  Just keep that in mind :)

Melissa didn't find a full time position last fall and continued substituting.  In our current Bible Study group (which is lead by Andrew and Karen Malone, also Valpo grads), we would pray for Melissa and her job search.  The long term positions just didn't seem to happen for her.  And now we know why.  Melissa will still continue to sub a few times a week, but will also be helping us out with the kids.

Now here's my shameless plug.  Melissa told me that she really needs to have a full-time job next fall.  She's a wonderful person; I can't really say much more than that about her personally.  In terms of her teaching abilities, although I haven't actually seen her teach in a classroom, I can guarantee that she is an amazing teacher and any school would be blessed to have her.  Please keep that in mind in the months to come :)

Time for prayers

Thanksgiving
Please give thanks that the younger kids and I slept well last night.
Please give thanks for the help that my parents (especially my mom) have given us.
Please give thanks that Matt and I will be able to be home together for awhile today; my mom will be with Anna.

Requests
Please pray for Anna's emotional, mental, and spiritual state, specifically that she can work through her frustration and anger and then soon get past it.  We're going to need to help her tap into the sweet, kind, caring Anna that we all know.
Please pray for my mom today, specifically that she has the strength and wisdom as she interacts with Anna, and the doctors and nurses.
Please pray for Melissa and us as we work out the details of the coming weeks.
Please pray for Charlie Flemming, the fourth child of my junior year college roommate, and his family, including parents Kendra and Mike.  He is barely two months old and is currently in a St. Louis hospital awaiting a heart transplant.  I believe that God has a reason for the particular timing of our respective families journeys.

I'll close today with a VeggieTales song that I often sing with the kids.

Thank you, God, for this day,
For the sun in the sky,
For my mom and my dad,
For a piece of apple pie,
For my home on the ground,
For His love that's all around.
That's why we say thanks every day.

Because a thankful heart
Is a happy heart.
I'm glad for what I've got
That's an easy way to start.
For the love that He shares
'Cuz He listens to our prayers.
That's why we say thanks every day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw Kate today and she skipped down the hall, very excited for her Valentine's Day party! She was beaming!

Dr. I. is one of the best in the world, no doubt about it. Our granddaughter sees him and she even named a doll at preschool Dr. Bernie. We are blessed that he calls Wisconsin his home.

Peace and Prayers.
Deb

Unknown said...

and...
always good theology from the Veggies.
Deb

Mary said...

It's so wonderful to read about your reflections and evolving perspective on all of this. Instead of asking "why us?" (which is a fair and normal question of course!) you praise and thank God for preparing you for this course of your life. I know these updates are intended for updates of Anna, the family and specific prayer requests, but may I say I am getting so much more out of them then their intended purpose!
Praying for Anna's strength and emotional & physical health to all progress to help her body prepare for the next phase. Give her hugs from all of us!
p.s.-No surprise about Matt and DITTO the plug for Melissa : )