Like my thumb?
Friday night I sliced off the end of my thumb while cutting up some ham for dinner. Not too bright of an idea on my part. Even though I was surrounded by distractions (I usually am), I should know better.
Matt was already home from work so he immediately went into "nurse" mode, got me cleaned up, and put on a band-aid really tightly. Then he finished making dinner while the kids crowded around me on the floor trying to comfort me.
"Mommy, are you sad?" - Ethan
"Do you want an ice pack?" - Kate
"I wish I could get you something like we get Ethan his special blanket when he's hurt." - Anna
By Saturday morning when we changed the band-aid, the cut was still oozing blood. I called the nurse line and they told me I needed to go to Urgent Care so they could help stop the bleeding. No stitches would be necessary since there was no flap of skin left.
Matt offered to drive me, with kids in tow, because neither one of us was sure how I would do after the visit. (I'd already had to lie down on the floor two separate times to keep from passing out. I never got queasy through all of Anna's medical stuff this past year, but something about open wounds just gets to me.) I turned down his offer, knowing from experience how difficult that would be with the kids.
I called a few friends to see who might be available on a Saturday morning and could sit with me while at Urgent Care, but most importantly, drive me back to their place if needed afterwards. Although one friend was willing to rearrange her Saturday morning (she also has three kids), Melissa came to my rescue!
A few hours later, I was back home with my wound sealed up with Surgicel, some pain meds in case I need help sleeping, and a huge bandage to protect my thumb.
Good news
My thumb will heal.
They didn't need to cauterize the artery.
It doesn't hurt too bad now, definitely not like when the nurse was putting pressure on it to stop the bleeding.
At least we already met our medical deductible and out-of-pocket maximum back in February.
This happened on a Friday evening/Saturday morning when I have a few days to adjust before the week hits.
In less than 24 hours, I have already learned a lot of ways to compensate.
Melissa and I had a few good laughs while we were together, and made a few more great memories to add to this memorable year ;)
We have already been wrapping gifts for one another, so I don't have to try to wrap too many more presents with my bum thumb.
(Matt used the presents as an obstacle for his radio-controlled truck.)
Bad news
This dressing needs to stay on until Sunday night, at which point Matt will help me redress it with another big ole' wrap to keep it protected while it heals.
I am not allowed to get my left hand wet until Thursday at the earliest.
It will be weeks, at least, before my thumb heals completely.
I'm not too worried about my personal care and/or how to deal with food prep for my family ... I'm right-handed after all. What I'm more concerned about is changing diapers (Ethan and Anna), lifting my children (especially Anna), and bathing them. Matt is going to have to take on even more in the coming week or two.
Prior to this event, we had a decent week. Anna managed to make it through the whole week with her "new" schedule, including three full days of school/therapy and no nap. She's been tired, but not as much as she was last weekend. However, we think she picked up a different virus from school. This one has more drainage and juicier coughs than the one she and Matt had the previous week. Sigh.
One highlight from the week was taking the kids to see the Holiday Express train set-up at Olbrich Gardens after school on Friday. Ethan loved it, and Kate certainly enjoyed it, too. Anna liked it, we think, but she was already pretty tired from the whole week by that point. We have one or two other small holiday traditions to throw into the mix in the next few weeks, but certainly nothing like previous years. We are aware of our limitations by this point.
Time for prayers
Thanksgiving
Please thank God that my experience with the knife wasn't any worse.
Please give thanks that Anna made it through her week at school successfully.
Please thank God that Matt and the rest of us are fully recovered from the virus.
Please give thanks that Anna has found some enjoyment in reading again.
Please thank God for all of those who are working with our family.
Requests
Please ask God to keep our family exceptionally healthy for the remainder of this school year.
Please pray that we all adjust to my injury and that it heals quickly and smoothly.
Please continue to pray that Anna's treatments are 100% effective
Please continue to pray for wisdom and guidance for all those working with our family.
Thumbs up!
Saturday, December 13, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Oh, Sara...
Oh no!!! How scary and painful! That's awesome your friend Melissa was able to come and bring some laughs. I'll be sending lots of prayers and love your way!
Oh, no!!!
I had surgery on my finger several years ago and had to keep it bandaged - it is amazing what a nuisance that can be! -hugs and prayers-
Post a Comment