This last week was cold and rainy. It made for a long week after the fun of the previous 10 days or so. Here's a few highlights (or low-lights?).
Anna came down with a nasty cold on Tuesday. We figured she caught whatever it was that Kate had and since Kate managed swim week on top of a cold, we sent Anna to school each day figuring she could also power through. But by Thursday afternoon when I picked her up for therapy, her cough was very persistent and the snot was getting to be a problem. We kept Anna home on Friday and she was pretty miserable. By Sunday she was well on her way to getting over the cold, but still not 100%.
Tuesday evening I attended an open forum at the hospital about camps specifically designed for kids and families affected by cancer. I never knew there were so many options! Of course, in all of the pictures and other literature, the kids are running, jumping, and playing. So I guess not all of them are options for us right now. However, we may keep the Brain Tumor Family Camp and a few others that are more handicap accessible in mind for future years.
Friday when I picked Kate up from school, she told me that her ear had started hurting during the day. (Back story ... our kids typically don't get ear infections. In fact, Kate is the only one to ever have had an ear infection; however, the double ear infection she had when she was almost 2 was a doozy.) Kate perked up for a bit in the afternoon, but was complaining again after dinner, to the point of being in tears. We called the on-call nurses who told us that we could just wait and see what the next day held. I gave Kate the option of going in to Urgent Care on Friday night, or waiting until Saturday. She chose Friday night.
Turns out she had an ear infection. One eardrum was clear; the other was bright red, inflamed, and "bulging". Who knows where this came from? After her first dose of antibiotics and a good night's sleep, she was feeling back to normal.
Saturday was Matt's birthday. Ack! No pictures again! The day was pretty cold and rainy so there wasn't much memorable for pictures anyway. The kids were excited to give Matt their homemade cards and gifts, help him find his 38's (we are not really that old, are we?!) and we all enjoyed the tasty treats throughout the day.
Saturday afternoon Anna went to a movie to celebrate a friend's birthday. We problem-solved how to transport Anna's wheelchair in our neighbor's vehicle with the birthday group and sent her on her way. We even left Anna's pump at home and gave Anna the goal of finishing the water in her water bottle. Turns out she drank about three times that goal, thanks to having movie popcorn to go along with it! What good friends we have to then haul Anna to the bathroom multiple times :)
The weekend ended with a neighborhood potluck at a friend's house. We were reminiscing that the first of these was when I was pregnant with Anna and the most recent was when I was pregnant with Ethan. (I am at the stage of my life where I remember major events by who was a baby or with which child was I pregnant.) The kids had fun; we had delicious food; and it was nice to reconnect with some neighbors we hadn't seen in awhile, as well as meet some new ones.
Now on to another week!
Sunday, May 1, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment