Thursday, May 26, 2016

The Lion King!

Saturday afternoon we went to see The Lion King musical.  "We" meaning Matt, me, Kate, Anna, and each girl invited a couple of friends.  (Ethan stayed home with Grandma.)  This was the girls' birthday presents, party, celebration, etc.


Two years ago we didn't do much to celebrate birthdays.  Last year was the big year for parties.  This year I was partied out.  First, I didn't know how we could possibly top last year's celebrations.  Second, I didn't want to have to plan anything.

Last winter when we learned that The Lion King was coming to Madison in May, we thought it would be an awesome way to celebrate Kate's birthday.  She could invite two friends, see the show, and have a memorable birthday experience.  When I proposed the idea to Kate, she thought it'd be great.  Then Anna chimed in and said that she'd like to do it, too.  Sounded good to us :)

When tickets went on sale, we picked up a handicap seat and three companion seats, plus four seats a few rows in front of Anna's group.  That way we'd be our own groups, but still consider it a "shared" memory.

On Saturday, Matt and Kate picked up two of her buddies from school (both boys, by the way) and drove them into town.  Anna and I picked up two of her friends (who have been new friends as of this year) and we also headed downtown.

Of all of us attending, only one of the boys and I had ever seen a Broadway show before.  Needless to say, everyone was impressed.  The costumes, the music, the special effects.  Amazing.  Even the two first grade boys did a good job of sitting still for the performance!


The girls were both gifted some spending money and they picked out a stuffed Nala and stuffed Simba.  (More stuffed animals, really?)  When we finally got home, they reenacted most of the plot of the story with their stuffed animals :)
 

It was certainly a cool way to celebrate the girls' birthdays.  We will have to keep these kind of "experience" celebrations in mind in the future!

(Since I didn't ask permission of the girls' friends, we chose not to include pictures of them on this public site.)

No comments: