Sunday, June 7, 2009

Our first week together

Anna, Kate, and I survived our first week together fairly well. We even managed to go to Walmart on Monday morning and play group on Tuesday. Unfortunately, Anna picked up a bit of a cold on Tuesday at play group, but so far seems to be conquering it well and no one else has shown symptoms. Wednesday and Thursday were beautiful days here so we all spent quite a bit of time outside; then my mom was driving through Madison on Thursday night/Friday morning and helped me hit the McFarland garage sales (that's where we get a good supply of the girls' clothes/toys for the coming year!).

So all in all things seemed to work pretty well. My mom gave me the best advice by saying that somebody was going to melt down and cry every day and some days all three of us might be crying at the same time. So far everyone seems to be taking turns with the melt downs, but I'm sure we'll have our challenges, too :)

Anna's still doing great with Kate. She likes to tickle Kate's toes, "pat her curly hair", shake her hand, and "help get the burps out". This last one is pretty funny because Anna will come over to help when I'm burping Kate, pat her on the back, then look Kate in the face and say "oh, good burp Kate!" I wonder where she got that phrase :) I've even caught Anna singing songs to Kate or offering Kate her blanket when I'm in the other room. She's such a sweet kid.

Anna's also developed a tendancy to add syllables to different words. For a long time, her friend Henry has been "Henery", but now she's added a nice, Southern sounding drawl to words like bear, stair, hair, etc. Hair has become "hey-ah", stair is "stay-ah", and so on. It's silly, but cute.

Kate's continuing to do well. We're still all working on adjustments and trying to figure out what works for Kate. Her most challenging characteristic right now is that she takes a really long time to fall asleep during the day. I know we'll get it worked out, but it can be frustrating at times.


Matt's parents came down on Saturday for a visit and an introduction to Kate. Anna was thrilled to see them and to pet "Bey-ah" several times. He tended to give her "slippery kisses", though.



Kate was happy to get lots of cuddling time with Grandma and Grandpa, too, but her reaction to seeing her grandparents is understandably a bit different from Anna's :)

No comments: