Monday, September 12, 2011

And so it begins ...

There seem to be lots of beginnings in our house this week.

First, last week Kate decided to pull TWO days on which she didn't think a nap was necessary. Really, Kate? Surprisingly, she does pretty well on these days, until bedtime. Then there are quite a few tears before she actually gets in bed. I'm not too thrilled about the idea of Kate giving up a nap yet. However, we're planning on Kate giving her pacifiers to her new cousin, baby Claire, in a few weeks at Claire's baptism so we'll have to see how naps work after that point ...

Another beginning was the start of our church's program year yesterday. This means that both girls will be in Sunday School (Kate in the 2's class with me), Matt will get to participate in an adult Bible Study, the women's Thursday morning Bible Study will begin this week, and no more early service for us on Sunday mornings. Part of the kickoff Sunday yesterday at church was the annual church picnic during which there was lots of good fun, a chance to catch up with friends we hadn't seen much this summer, games for the kids, and motorcycle rides around the parking lot for those who would like. Anna went twice :)


Kate wasn't too keen on going on the big bikes, but she got a ride with Logan (age 4) on his powerwheels motorcycle :)

Another beginning has been the start of what certainly feels like fall. Today is an exception, with highs in the 80s, but we've definitely had some cool days and nights lately.

Because of the cooler weather, Matt took down the pool this past weekend :( We figured that the water would probably be too cool after several nights in the 40s with our highs only reaching to the 60s during the day. Our pool was a great investment for our family and I can't wait to be able to use it again next summer, too!

A great beginning today was the first use of our new floor in our addition! We're finally being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel with this project. Our contractor asked us last week how we felt about having the floors finished over the weekend instead of waiting until the end of this week for the sanding/staining/finishing guy to come. Of course we said that was fine! So this morning we got to walk for the first time on our newly finished floor ... hooray! We'll probably still wait a few days until we move furniture out that way, but for now it's just really fun to look at :) We'll also be getting the final countertop at the end of this week so when all that is in place, I'll make sure to post some pictures of how everything looks now.

Another beginning today was that it was the first "normal" day of preschool for Anna. Not only will it be a great experience for her, but after we drop Anna off we come home, I put Kate down for a nap (theoretically) and then I have a few hours of time without any kid responsibilities. I have been waiting months for this day :) Of course, during this time I'm sure I'll be doing the cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. stuff that is necessary when you have kids anyway, but then I'll be able to give the girls more of my attention during the other parts of the day ... hooray!

No comments: