First, I managed a big grocery shopping trip with all three kids. Having Anna along certainly made things more eventful and energetic. I also did my first trip to Olbrich Gardens with all three kids, although a neighbor and her daughter came along for that one. I had to do bedtime for everyone by myself on Thursday night since Matt was lay minister at the Maundy Thursday service at church. (We didn't even try to take the kids to any Lenten services this year; maybe someday, but not right now.) Plus, I had four full days with all kids at home and Matt at work, and three of those days Matt biked to work.
Probably the best part of the break for the girls was being able to play together and imagine all day long. Sure, we had some reason to get out of the house each day, and I had a few ideas to redirect our energies when they needed a break from each other, but they had so much fun together.
A few of their creative ideas were to build a dam across their doorway so the flood wouldn't come in, to have their babies do "Baby Gymnastics" using furniture in the kitchen, to pretend that each room in the house was a different state (or country) and then to visit one another, to make up a "storm" dance to a song from one of my classical music CD's, and to use sticks to "churn the butter" out in the drying out pool sand area.
There was also a lot of practice reading and writing. Here's what Anna chose to do during the Easter Sunday worship service.
Another thing that helped was being able to get outdoors just about every day. Spring is FINALLY on it's way to Wisconsin. The snow is gone for the most part from our yard and after a few days last week of being confined to the driveway, I finally let the girls roam free in the yard on Monday and they LOVED it. Before things dried out, though, I had several days of extra laundry as just about anything they did outside resulted in clothes being covered in mud. See the video for an example of why this happened :)


No comments:
Post a Comment