Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Ugh.

We've had one sunny day in the last week.  Ugh.  Snow was almost better than this.  At least we could go outside and play in the snow.  Cold and wet is not fun for anyone.  Oh, well.  We'll enjoy the sun when we can get it and try to embrace a few more weeks of indoor activities.

Last Friday Anna didn't have school so I took the kids across town to an open gym at a gymnastics facility.  (We coupled this trip with picking up the last of our seeds to plant along with 40 lbs. of strawberries that were on sale for $1/lb.  More on that later ...)  The girls had a great time and it was very, very good for them to have this activity in the middle of the day after a long, rainy week.  I think Kate had more fun since Anna was along.  Anna had no reservations, but Kate was a little shy when we first got there.  She didn't stick to Anna the whole time, though, and chose to do her own activities while we were there.

Regarding strawberries ... Each spring for the last few years, the Aldi stores around here have a great deal on strawberries.  $1/lb.!  We can't even pick them that cheap in June!  We usually buy a bunch and freeze them or make some jam.  Matt was not looking forward to cutting up strawberries all weekend, so I decided to put the girls to work.  I'd wash and hull the berries and the girls would slice them into halves or quarters.  They did great!  Everyone emerged with all ten fingers, no cuts, and a desire to help again.  In fact, they helped for about 40 minutes on Friday, then did another 40 minute bit on Saturday morning and again on Saturday afternoon.  It gave me hope for the gardening season :)

Yesterday was the only sunny day we've had, so after school I wouldn't let the girls come inside to play.  They stayed outdoors until dinner time.  Ethan and I joined them for a little while on the swingset, as well.  I think it was the first time all three kiddos were on the set at the same time.  I think we need to upgrade soon; the swings are a little close together ...


Anna's still doing well.  She enjoys school, continues to improve on her reading and her math thinking skills.  The few nice days we've had, she's been a little reluctant to come inside at bedtime, but she doesn't fight it too much.

Kate's doing well, too.  I try my best to get her playmates during the week because I'm not much of a playmate for her right now.  Any time that Ethan is sleeping or playing on his own, I feel like I need to be doing some kind of work around the house.  Kate expresses her frustration with me in a variety of different ways :(


Ethan's doing well, too.  I just wish this boy would sleep a bit better.  He's such a big guy with his dad's metabolism, so it's obvious that he needs to eat at night still, but he's been waking up besides that these days.  This mama's ready for some sleep.  I can't complain too much, though.  He goes right back to sleep usually and in general he's a happy, healthy guy.


No comments: