Matt turned 39 on Sunday. Ack! We're not really this old, are we?
Nope. Definitely not.
The weather this weekend was terrifically awful, but that didn't take away from the celebrations for Matt. Mostly, these celebrations were about food :) Biscuits with sausage gravy on Saturday morning, Papa Murphy's pizza on Saturday night, then cheeseburgers and turtle pie on Sunday. Yum.
The rest of the celebrations took place on Sunday. Presents and cards in the morning, plus finding 39s all day (and into the next). I offered to take Matt out of the house on Saturday night, even getting a potential babysitter lined up. But in the end he just wanted to stay home and watch a movie with the family in front of the fire. It worked well for us all. We don't need much to enjoy the celebration.
The kids were looking forward to giving Matt his cards. We had planned on making/coloring them on Thursday afternoon after school.
Little did I know how intent they would be about their creations or how much time it would take them.
They love their dad a lot and wanted to do their best.
This boy, in particular, was incredibly proud of his coloring job.
Other than the birthday, we've been trying to make the most of these rainy spring days. I'm SO glad I got as much in the garden last week as I did, since it's been raining just about every day since then. Hopefully the sun will come back out soon so we can get back outside for some fresh air and exercise.
Ethan and I managed a playdate at a local indoor playground on Thursday afternoon and then took a mom-Ethan trip to the Children's Museum on Friday. While playing with the cars setup there, we ran into one of Ethan's buddies from church and his mom. The chance encounter made the rest of the afternoon much more fun for all of us.
Friday night I took the girls to the annual Sock Hop at Anna's school. It's fun to see the kind of growth both of them have gone through during the last year that has brought them to the point they were on Friday night.
Both girls found friends and disappeared into the mix of kids for most of the evening, leaving me alone to catch up with a couple of my own friends. Kate checked in with me a few times, but mostly to get some money for a snack. Anna used her walker that night and only came to find me after a little more than an hour, saying that her legs were really tired and she needed a rest. For both girls, these interactions are a snapshot of the kinds of progress they have made :)
For all of the non-sock hop or playdate moments, we will have to be content with our indoor amusements ... like stuffed animals.
I asked the girls to clean up the basement before dinner on Sunday and this is their version of "cleaning up". Notice that the dogs are all on one end while the cats are on the other; I forget who was playing with which animals that particular day.
Let's hope the sun comes out soon and dries up all the rain!
Monday, May 1, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment