Thursday, March 26, 2020

March 11, 2019


Hi, friend,

Life is plugging along here.  Last week included a lot of heart moments for me, but I'm trying to frame these experiences as building my emotional stamina :)  I'm good when it's just our family, but stepping out of that comfort zone can still be hard.

Last Tuesday we had our first group meeting with an Agrace grief support group.  Several close and trusted friends recommended this to us.  We opted to wait until there was an opening in a group where families had also lost a child/sibling.  I think our first meeting went well.  I'm hoping that the experience will continue to ease our feelings of isolation (we're certainly not the only ones who have to deal with crappy situations) as well as give Ethan and Kate the opportunity and space to process their lives in a healthy, supportive manner.

I subbed on Thursday afternoon for the first time since Anna's death.  Four hours was about all I could handle, but I'm glad I got this first one over with.

Friday we met with our friend/advocate/medical overseer Lynne (a.k.a. PICU nurse practitioner who probably runs the show there more than anyone else) to go over the autopsy results.

Big picture ... Anna had viral sepsis that became complicated by DIC.  The assumption is that she has mastoiditis which quickly turned septic.  In spite of the honest and sincere efforts of several talented medical experts who did a lot of digging and asked plenty of questions, that's all they can say for sure about what DID happen.  They know the sepsis was not bacterial and that the virus was not anything typically found or tested for, but not much else.

There's no clear evidence of how the mastoiditis began, either.  Although Anna had severe ear pain, causing her eardrum to rupture while in the ER (we think ...), I still don't think she had a normal ear infection.  She'd never once in her life had an ear infection, and 4 different medical professionals checked her ears during her last 36 hours and all said they were clear of infection.

After several months of waiting, wondering, and questioning, I'm okay with the lack of information.  We always knew that science didn't have all of the answers, but perhaps the lack of answers surrounding Anna's death has provided me with more evidence of God's hand in everything.  I'm not saying that God wanted us to suffer, but I'm saying that God made sure that we suffered as little as possible (even though that "little" suffering is almost too much to handle some days).

Did I tell you that Anna was scheduled to have her next MRI on Tuesday, January 8?  My heart and my instincts as a mother tell me that something would have shown up on the MRI that would require us to make treatment decisions.  My biggest fear these last few years had been that Anna would develop a secondary cancer and that we would have to decide (with her input) if and how to treat it.

My heart and my instincts also tell me that Anna died because her body was pumped full of so much poison in 2014.  Lynne said "off the record" that her treatments probably played a role in her death, but that there was no medical evidence for this.

I've had a lot of internal debates involving science and faith during the last few months.

I'm fairly confident at this point, too, that I could not have done anything to prevent the end result of this illness for Anna.  In fact, by advocating as much as I did during Anna's last days, she was in the ER at the children's hospital before things became visibly serious.  Matt and I have talked about how much worse the whole experience would have been had things turned serious in our own home in the presence of Kate and Ethan.

Again, less suffering for those of us left behind.

Anyway, thanks for reading all of this.  After a few weeks of not having words running through my head, I had a resurgence of thoughts over the weekend.  The more I put these thoughts into words, the less they are stuck in my head :)

Hope your night on duty went well last night and that you are sleeping right now :)
Sara

No comments: